MOVING & PACKING TIPS TO MAKE MOVING EASIER
Moving day will be here before you know it! The key to having a smooth and successful move is preparation. If you take the time to plan ahead and get organized in advance, you’ll have much less to worry about on the move day.
Many people chose to save time and money by packing their own boxes for moving house. This is a great idea but needs to be done properly to prevent damages and to make the move run smoothly.
If time is limited it can be quicker to leave it to our experienced packers, ask us how we can assist with either a partial or full prepack or unpack service.
Not sure where to begin? We’re here to help!
We’ve put together a list of our top moving tips and tricks to help get you started.
- Be organised and get your packing materials organised well in advance so you can pack up your least used items to reduce the last minute rush and stress.This also includes things like removing all pictures from the walls before moving day.
- Double tape box bottoms with good quality packing tape.
- Using uniform boxes built for the purpose makes it easier to load the truck and can reduce the time it takes to load and unload. Particularly important if you are doing an hourly rate move.
- When packing fragile items and china in the smaller book, wine and crystal boxes. Put crushed packing paper in the bottom of the box to cushion breakables and put another layer of crushed paper on the top. Stack plates on their edge and use bubble wrap on larger fragile items. Pack items snugly to prevent movement. If in doubt use extra paper.
- If an item fits in a box pack it in a box (lampshades, small appliances) this reduces the time it takes to load and unload and keeps your items safe.
- Do not overload boxes and use smaller boxes for heavy items such as books/dvds.
- Try not to use plastic rubbish bags for packing. Unless they are very heavy duty they will not doubt rip, making moving the contents more difficult.
- Label boxes with their destination room and the items in it to make unpacking and locating items easier.
- Use specifically designed boxes for mirrors, paintings, Plasma TVs to keep them well protected. Porta- robes keep suits and delicate fabrics from crushing and needing pressing after your move.
- Pack a “priority box” with all the items ( remotes, medication etc) that you will need to access when you get to your new place. Make sure it’s easy to distinguish from over boxes.
- If packing to go into storage use extra protection when packing boxes. Use good quality packing tape that is less likely to deteriorate over time. Leave boxes that contain items that may need to be accessed to the front of the storage unit. Ask MOVEMAKERS for plastics to protect your furniture such as lounges and mattresses while in storage.
- Organise where your movers can park the truck. If your moving from an apartment talk to your building manager about and how we can best access your apartment, lift use and if there are any time limitations on parking or moving hours
- Our teams have tools to dismantle/assemble furniture and we are happy to provide this service if you require. However if you wish to save time on your move day please prep your furniture ,white goods and electronics for moving. Remove all items from furniture, so they’re easier to lift. Disconnect washing machines, tv’s and speakers. Fridges will usually be last on and first off the truck, we will let you know when to empty the fridge contents. It also helps to disassemble bedroom sets. Make sure to secure all the bolts/screws for reassembly.